Friday, November 21, 2008

Sharing is Caring

Had a super yummy, perfect for a cold fall day chili the other night, and I thought I'd share. It's Steak and Black Bean Chili, and John had been wanting a steak chili.

This chili is a bit on the spicy side, for those that bothers. My recommendation, if you can't tolerate heat is to carefully remove the ribbing and seeds from your jalapeño before you chop and add it, and perhaps just buy a smaller one from the store. Ours was medium in size and since I LOVE heat I put the whole thing in, ribs, seeds and all. Even with that, I would only classify it as 'pretty spicy' though, not really spicy.


Nice thing about chili, make it early, and just let it simmer!



Garnish with a little sour cream.
(Especially if you wanna cool it down a degree or two!)


I made just a few changes, I used two 10 oz cans of diced tomatoes w/ juice, probably more like one pound of steak, and I added a 15oz can of 'small red beans'. I like my chili, bean heavy. Call me a masochist. We also like to eat our chili with corn chips. Mmmm.

So enough blabbing, here you go...

Steak and Black Bean Chili

Yield: Makes 6 servings
This hearty chili, featuring steak and black beans, proves that it doesn't take magic to serve six with only one steak
Ingredients:

1 boneless beef top sirloin steak (about 3/4 pound)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1 cube beef bouillon
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup chopped tomato
2/3 cup sliced green onions with tops
6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream

Preparation:

1. Trim fat from steak. Cut steak into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat oil in large nonstick saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add steak, onion and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Add beans, diced tomatoes with juice, bell peppers, jalapeño pepper, bouillon, chili powder and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30 to 45 minutes.

2. Top with chopped tomato, green onions and sour cream.



Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: about 1 cup chili
Sodium 790 mg
Protein 26 g
Fiber 12 g
Carbohydrate 40 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Saturated Fat 1 g
Total Fat 7 g
Calories from Fat 18 %
Calories 277

1 comment:

cara lou said...

Sounds yummy! I love bean-y chili.